Pages

Thursday 8 February 2007

Getting serious with Vista

I'm installing Vista on my main machine this week-end. Will my striped-RAID 15000rpm SAS drives, 30'' DELL monitor and NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500 like Vista?

The answer is yes. I installed Vista with no problem and switched the resolution to 2560*1600 even before running Windows Update. I created a backup using the built-in backup tool and tested the recovery.

Applications I had a problem with:

  • Paragon Disk Manager: does not work with Vista.
  • Fable, the lost chapters: stops responding (issue with Nvidia driver).
  • Skype Recorder: causes Skype to crash every time you start a call.
  • Burning CDs from Windows: it takes ages to burn a CD and it the end it doesn't work (I have an LG Dual layer).
  • Sony Soundforge Audio Studio 7.0: can't open files via drag and drop any more
  • Media Center: takes 10 seconds to switch from/to full screen. The display driver crashes sometimes. Suspect this is due to the beta version of the NVIDIA Vista driver.

No issue with:

  • Office 2003
  • Sid Meier's Civilization IV
  • SoundForge 7.0b
  • Skype
  • Norton Internet Security 2007: a free update is available for Vista
  • Cambridge English Dictionary
  • Google Earth

No comments: