Pages

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Learning plan for a 6-month break

If you were taking a 6-month break off work, what would you start learning?

This is what I put on my plate:

  • CSS\Javascript\HTML5

I haven’t touched CSS and HTML in a while. It’s about time to have a refresh. Microsoft now has certifications for those.

  • One CMS (Wordpress or Drupal)

…because my blog looks quite boring in Blogger.

  • One no-SQL technology

…because I worked with Relational Data Models for too long…

…sometimes it’s good to learn about Microsoft technologies independently of a project. The material for certifications –without making you proficient- gives you a healthy overview of everything that’s available. So when you’re back on projects, you know what tools to consider.

  • C++ 11

…to lose old habits and re-learn new ones.

  • Risk calculation in finance

Some financial calculations basics: statistics, value at risk, options valuation, portfolio valuation… I will prepare the FRM exam to write it in May.

And those will be mostly for fun….

  • iPad + iPhone development
  • High Frequency Trading

 

That could be too many things to learn for 6 months, it’s likely I am biting more than I can chew. I will see in 1 month how much I’ve done and I might review the list.

No comments: