Pages

Saturday 15 November 2008

TechEd EMEA 2008 Developers Wrap

What I got out of this TechEd Saw a total of 15 sessions and did 4 labs. If I had to pick just one thing, that would be VC9 DBPro (VSTS2008 Database Edition) with its database deployment and sproc unit-testing features. I saw a talk about it then played with it at the lab. It has the potential to remove a LOT of pain from schema upgrades. Because most sessions I picked were centered around unit-testing I'm a bit less ignorant about the subject:
  • now I know there is a descent framework for unit-testing native C++ code in VSTS2008 Dev. Ok you have to write C++/CLI but the next best thing is cppunit so... VSTS2008 Dev is apparently the best tool around for the moment.
  • database unit-testing in VC9 DBPro where it creates a C# class for you that automatically calls a T-SQL sproc where you write your test.
  • other tools: I had an overview of the tools available for managing unit-tests and IOC containers: Pex, TypeMock, TestDriven. They're on my list of things to try out next.
Integration Testing:
  • It's worth digging into SpecExplorer 2007 and see what can be done with it. The idea of creating a simplified state model of your system and having the tool generate all possible paths for you is very interesting.
Methodologies

No comments: